Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chivalry is nor dead



I was recently offered a seat on public bus by a very old gentleman who looked over 80 years old.
I hesitated to accept his offer because it was not a long trip for me and he looked quite frail. 
I thought he needed the seat more than I did, so I said “No thank you.” 
I don't think he was happy that I turned down his gallant offer. He shouted very loudly to me,
“Have a seat here! You are the only lady without a seat on this bus!” 
Then a young man suddenly stood up and offered me his seat as well.
He said, “I'm sorry, I should have offered you my seat earlier.”
Many of the passengers were now looking at me. 
I wasn't sure what to do. 
I didn't want to be rude and remain standing, even though my destination was getting closer and closer.
I thanked them both and sat down in the young man's seat for a few minutes, until I arrived at my stop. 
After I got off the bus, I looked up  to see many of the passengers looking at me and smiling at me through the windows.
Although I was embarrassed, I was very impressed with the good manners of those two gentlemen.
Wonderful Australia!

No comments:

Post a Comment