Friday, July 12, 2013

Hanoi in Melbourne


The wealthier people in the Melbourne's east tend to look down on those of us living in the western suburbs, or “beyond the river”.

Why?


For the last 4 years I have been living in the western suburbs, but I like many of the features of this location, especially the downtown ambience. I suppose every bird thinks it's own nest is beautiful.


Fresh foods and vegetables are reasonably priced and there are many good Vietnamese and Indian restaurants, etc. It is also close to work – only 15 min by car...Yay!



The cultural diversity here is very different from the east side, “beyond the river”.
Here, nobody is shocked if they see somebody wearing pyjamas at the supermarket. 

I think they accept individuality. People don’t put on airs here.



There are many Vietnamese grocery shops near the railway station.

I was quite shocked soon after I moved in here, to find that a lot of the shop staff cannot speak English. Eventually I started to become familiar with their friendly service and smiling faces.

Now, grocery shopping in my town is one of the most enjoyable weekend activities for me.



I sometimes feel that I am in Hanoi or Saigon, although I have never been to Vietnam.
I am very lucky because I can go overseas on foot, without needing a passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment