Monday, July 29, 2013

Signs of Affection



It is unusual for most Japanese people to show their affection for others with physical action, e.g. by giving a kiss or a hug to somebody, especially in public!

When I am introduced to some new people in Australia, in a casual situation among friends, sometimes I get a hug and kiss on the cheek from them.
It took a while for me to become used to Australian people's expression of love or friendship.
When I visit my niece in Japan , my kisses and hugs have not been welcomed, since she became a teenager.
When I look back at my childhood, I have no memory of showing or receiving physical signs of affection, even among my family. I cannot remember when was the last time I was hugged and kissed by my parents, but that is not the Japanese way.
It doesn't mean they don't love me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment